Friday, March 18, 2016

Encounters with Jesus- Starting Something New and Exciting! Tune in and See!

 And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen  John 21:25
Having completed our study of the story of David and Goliath, I’ve spent the past couple of weeks in prayer to see where to go next. I’ve asked God what He’d have me do, and I felt that He’s led me to do the study on Encounters with Jesus. It seems that with all the stuff in the world today we need to get back to Who it is we serve. We need to go back to the Source and see Him for who He is, not just who we want Him to be, but actually the Jesus scripture reveals Him to be.
        Nothing reveals who we are more than how we rub up against others. So who was this Jesus?  The words Jesus spoke and the actions He took have changed the world. When we think that this historical figure, who was not a king born in a castle, nor a landowner, nor a revolutionary that overthrew a government, somehow has changed the course of history, then there has to be power there. For three short years he walked the arid lands of Judea, a district of the Roman Empire, that had no great claim to fame or value yet has been a hotly debated territory for millennia. He was no great threat to Rome, and lead no armed insurrection against the Emperor, yet He suffered the death of a rebel, and his followers have been under persecution ever since, and still the movement and the message continues to grow in the hearts and minds of millions.
“I speak not by commandment, but I am testing the sincerity of your love by the diligence of others.” 2 Cor. 8:8 The old adage says you know a man by the company he keeps. Moreover, the way we treat people says a lot about our character and defines us.  The words said over us at our funeral usually have to do with what we did to others, not how often we flossed our teeth or how fashionable we were.  In fact our clothing is usually donated to charity or the relative we never wanted to lend it to ends up owning it. It’s crazy how material possessions will divide people the people you love when you would have wanted them to be together after you die. These people who just said such nice things about you are now ready to throw blows to get the necklace you didn’t even like. Yet Jesus’ death and resurrection can bring people who don’t know each other, and barely speak the same language together.
It’s not just the way we behave with the people closest to us, it’s also how we act as a church that doesn’t reflect our Lord. Recently I went to a rally, a prayer rally for our country, with political overtones. I wasn’t thrilled that I had to go. As I was sitting there beside a young man who works for a political party he said to me that it was sad to see a crowd of thousands gathered to see an itinerant preacher lead a rally and call upon them to become active when this young man can’t even get a few volunteers out in their own neighborhood to do a voter registration drive or walk for a candidate to solicit votes. They were there for the show, but when it comes down to the work they don’t want to put the time and effort in. They’ll armchair quarterback, and speak out at the water cooler at work, but when it actually requires some shoe leather they’re ghosts. Sometimes it’s easier and quicker to write a check than to get our hands dirty. Well, Church, it’s time to get dirty!
 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’ Matt. 7:21-23
So Jesus expects us to do more than just do stuff. He expects us to be the stuff. Yet, what is the stuff He expects us to be?
Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.  Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.  Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.  And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Phil. 2:1-8
Jesus said it best. His message was one of love. He did it all for love, God’s love for us.
“As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.  This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.  No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.  These things I command you, that you love one another. John 15:9-17

Next week we will begin to see this love in action as we examine Jesus interactions with others. We will look at His miracles, His conversations, and His relationships with the people who encountered Him. We will see what happens when God sets His foot on Earth in order to become the propitiation for our sins. Hold on, and pray. This is going to be an undertaking of Biblical proportions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment