Monday, January 18, 2016

The Mother Of All Bombs- The Word of God.

The Mother of All Bombs- The Word of God.

When last we saw the battlefield we focused on David’s staff. Yet, it wasn’t the staff that took down Goliath. The staff was for the people of Israel, to rally their hearts and lead them. The fight was brought about by the next words in verse 40 of 1 Samuel 17, “and he chose for himself five smooth stones from the brook”. In the past blogs I’ve talked about the symbolism of the brook and the stones, and so we come to the point of the weapons which these five stones are to the spiritual warrior.  The first of which is certainly the MOAB of spiritual warfare- The Word of God.
“For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12
“Every Christian should know his Bible,” is a true statement. There’s never been a truer statement made, but there’s also never been a more misused one. Most Christians learn their Bibles for the wrong reasons. They don’t use it as a weapon the way they should. They get it in their hands and begin firing it off at will, usually like a hand grenade in their own foxhole. I know of which I speak. I’ve had to count a lot of casualties in my walk with relationships I regret being so quick to wield and leaving unnecessary scars on my brothers. I’ve done a lot of plank bonking in my time.  It’s a sad way to use such a powerful weapon. See, the word of God is meant to be used to correct others, but mostly it’s meant to correct ourselves. So, maybe our moms were right and we shouldn’t go running around with sharp objects, at least until we know how to holster them.
We should know our Bibles for ourselves. Psalm 119 is a study on the ways the word of God blesses the life of a believer and how powerful it is. First of all it cleanses and keeps us from doing wrong by giving us the definition of what is right. “How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word.” Ps. 119:9.Truth is not relative. It is able to be discerned. The word of God also helps us to find delight in what is true and right, to find honor, and to be above reproach by guiding us through life and giving us the wisdom God has chosen to share with us. Your testimonies also are my delight, And my counselors” Ps.119:24. God doesn’t want to hide things from us. He wants us to know His creation and to have dominion over it. He wants us to be good stewards, and is willing offering us the instructions on how to do it, but we have to take hold of those instructions.I have chosen the way of truth; Your judgments I have laid before me.  I cling to Your testimonies” Ps. 119:30-31a Finally, His word keeps us, sustains us, and feeds us daily. It provides for our growth and nourishment. You have dealt well with Your servant, O Lord, according to Your word” Ps.119:65 If we can hold fast to this weapon, then the enemy will flee because it will be no match for this Sword of the Spirit. (Eph.6:17)
The word of God is also important to know in its entirety. In 2013, the Barna Surveyors found that only about 1 in 5 Americans had actually read the Bible through from beginning to end. I though the number would be much higher, considering how many bother to carry ‘the good book’ around with them, and how many can so quickly quote it when their brother sins against them, but then that explains all the plank bonking we all are doing to each other. I wonder how many people would bother to go to a block buster movie and only watch for about five minutes, and then walk out and say they’ve seen it and know all about it. We will stay glued to our television to get the whole story about some celebrity, and even watch talking heads speculate until it all comes out, and we know what happened about some crazy event she went to, far away, that is really none of our business. Why don’t we want to know what the Creator, who loves us and gave His only Son for us, has to say to us? Wasn’t the cross enough of a statement for us to get the message? Shouldn’t we be fascinated, enraptured, and completely enthralled to the point of literally meditating on His words day and night? Have we fallen that far?
YES! We have. So we need to fight. We need to pick it up and fight ourselves and read it, beginning to end, over and over and over again, and continuously wage war against our own flesh, against the lure of the world, and against Satan who will stop at nothing to draw us away from the voice of God. We must read it cover to cover, Genesis to Revelation! Can I get a fist pumping AMEN?
Sometimes, when I ask for comments below on these blogs and I don’t get any, I hear crickets followed by that feedback sound on microphones with the thought 'is this thing on', and I think “that must be how God feels when He’s speaking and no one is reading His blog too.”
“But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’ Matt. 4:4
The most important thing about God’s word is that it is GOD’s word. I’ve never been able to get my head around the fact that people wouldn’t want to know what God wants to say to them. I love the argument someone will make with me when he’ll say he doesn’t believe the Bible to be true. I’ll say, “prove it’s not true.”
Usually he’ll say, “You really believe all the miracle stuff,” and point out the parting of the Red sea or the plagues, or something like that.
I’ll answer, “Well, can you prove it didn’t happen?”
And the person will say, “It’s not possible.”
I’ll say, “Prove it’s impossible for my God to do.” Usually the person will get very confused at this point. I’ll say, “See, my God can do impossible things. What can your god do?” “But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Matt. 19:26 This usually gives me leverage to at least start the conversation on the subject of God and his perception of God. If I know where he’s coming from, and I listen without arguing, I can usually have a enough of a conversation that I can plant a seed, and if I plant a seed, even if it’s a seed of doubt that would have him reach for a Bible to prove something to me, than I’ve got him reaching for God’s word and that’s the MOAB of all weapons. It’s better than running with scissors in my hands, or worse, a really sharp Sword that I could cut my own arm off with. Still, I need to know my weapon to use it well. I need to know it thoroughly.
I encourage everyone to take this year to read through the Bible, all 66 books, and learn them. See what God has for you, just you, and no one else. Be all about you and God alone and take your time with Him. Get to know His voice. He has so much to say to you personally, sweet secrets that are just between you and Him, corrections done in private that no one but you needs to know about, so that you are complete in Him, and ready to do battle.
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Tim. 3:16-17

Next week we’ll deal with prayer. Until then I covet yours, and you have mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment