Monday, January 25, 2016

The Stealth Fighter- Prayer of the Saints of God


Tucked away in the arraignment of the “Full Armour of God verses of Ephesians 6 we find the Stealth fighter of spiritual warfare. It’s a verse often read over and not included in the lists of weapons. The weapons are listed as the belt of truth, breast plate of righteousness, boots of the gospel of peace, the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit which is the word of God. Many end the list there, but it doesn’t end…it continues by explaining the means of attack:
“praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saintsEph. 6:18
Prayer is a very powerful weapon of spiritual warfare. With it we can quench the fiery attacks of the enemy, not just against ourselves, but against the entire church at large. It’s like having an armada of stealth fighters in the spiritual skies over the enemy camps. The reason for this power is because it knows no boundaries, has no conditions, and is not limited by social morays despite attempts to do so. It’s like the expression, “as long as there are tests there will always be prayer in schools”. In a way, prayer is carpet bombing the enemy territory.
The first integral part of understanding this weapon is comprehending where the power comes from. When the disciples asked Jesus to teach them to pray He began with the words, “Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.” Matt.6:9-10 His words were the words of a Son to His Father, but also as one who understood His dependent position. The position of prayer is one of dependency. We understand the moment we begin our prayer and call upon God for help, or to ask, or to praise, or for anything outside of ourselves--that we are limited, and He is limitless and deserving of our attention. We are admitting that we don’t control everything, but He does, or we wouldn’t be turning to Him for anything. Understanding our own limitations is AMAZINGLY powerful, because it’s humbling. Humility comes with a promise from the Lord: Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up. James 4:10
As believers we are called to prayer, to “pray without ceasing” 1 Thes.5:17. But how do we do that? How do we keep in constant prayer with God? That’s an easy answer. We simply live with the understanding that God is omnipresent, omniscient, and therefore omnipotent. It stands to reason that since He has all those attributes we should be in constant contact with Him, and that we are in communion, whether we are aware of it or not by His will. In other words, He knows us regardless of our awareness of knowing Him. Speaking for myself, I do know Him, so since I do know Him I know that He loves me. I know that God loves me so much that He did die for me. If he loves me that much how could I not want to be in constant communion with Him? I love my husband of 31 years a whole lot, and I want to spend as much time as possible with him. When he sends me an email when I’m at work to let me know he’s thinking of me, it makes my day. A heart emoticon can make me smile, and a kissy face emoticon can give me such joy. My husband is human, and not perfect, and he hasn’t died for me, though I think he would if it came down to it. That is, I’m sure he’d wrestle a gun away from someone holding one on me, but let’s pray we never find out. God loves me so much more than my husband! He loves me more than my parents ever did, more than anyone ever did. So, yes, I want to be constantly aware He’s there with me. That’s being in prayer. It’s not just saying things; prayer is a condition of the heart. It’s being in constant communion with the Lord so if I do say something I know He can hear me, because I know He’s right there. We have His word on that. Matt. 28:20b “and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age. Amen.”
Prayer doesn’t mean we have to be talking constantly to God. Jesus said the Father knows what we need before we ask, “Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.” Matt. 6:8 God knows us so well that He knows all that we need before we ask. So why do we ask? Because God loves us, and just like anyone who loves another, He loves the sound of our voice. When my best friend, Catalina, died I called her cell phone for as long as I could just to hear her voice. I missed her so much, and I wanted to tell her about…well, losing her. Her voice was so comforting to me. When I’m sick I still call my mom because it’s comforting to me, and I’m a grandmother already. When I want to cheer myself up I like to hear the laughter of my children, no matter how old they get. God loves to hear our voice. He loves us that much. I think His favorite thing to hear is when we say, “I love you, Lord.” I bet He likes hearing that more than a bunch of flowery words that don’t really say much about what’s really between us. I think God wants us to be real. So sometimes, when we don’t want to talk, but just want to hang out, He’s good with that. That’s prayer too.
Of course, there is when we must use our words and do some real knees to the floor warfare, not just for ourselves, but for others. It is when you can hear the battlement gearing up as the prayer warriors enter the arena en masse. Intercessory prayer is earthshattering for the enemy. James 5:6 “Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.” We have to call out for those who have to call out to God and need strength. There is strength in numbers. “For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” Matt. 18:20 If God is there then where is the enemy? On the run! Darkness cannot exist in fellowship with light. It only makes the darkness flee. “This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.”1 Jn. 1:5  Praying for each other is like flying wing tip to wing tip with no chance of being shot down and releasing a payload of destruction upon the enemy’s munitions depots. In employing this weapon we stand invincible with God, because He loves us.
That’s what prayer does when we wage war on our knees, with heads bowed, and hearts humbled. We can pray anywhere, anytime, in any situation and the only one who needs to know is our Lord God. He is always there, always listening, and always wants to hear what you think, what you feel, and to know how loved you are by Him. So let Him hear you. Pray!

            “I cried out to God with my voice— To God with my voice; And He gave ear to me.Ps. 77:1

No comments:

Post a Comment